Thursday, July 9, 2009

shakunthala devi puzzles Tennis Championship

A tennis championship is played on a knock-out basis, i.e., a player is
out of the tournament when he loses a match.
(a) How many players participate in the tournament if 15 matches are
totally played?
C u don't need to sum it up.since it's a knock out only 1 person
emerges winner finally.so15+1=16is answer.becos after15 matches finally we
shud've 15losers and 1winner.

(b) How many matches are played in the tournament if 50 players
totally participate? -> 49.its always one less thn no of players as per
the idea ive given above.so no need to check okay cos its always
true.ans is 49.
old enough:
Mark:
"When I add 4 times my age 4 years from now to 5 times my age 5
years from now, I get 10 times my current age. How old will I be 3 years
from now?"
Let x= current age
4(x+4)+5(x+5)=10x ;so x=Ò 41 years

No comments:

Post a Comment